JULY 2018 UPDATE:
FOLEY BUHL ROBERTS & ASSOCIATES OPENS PORTLAND, ME OFFICE! SEE "NEWS" PAGE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
Foley Buhl Roberts & Associates, Inc. is a consulting firm offering structural engineering services to architects, owners and contractors. Founded in 1985 by Richard A. Foley and Jonathan D. Buhl, the firm has offices in Newton, Massachusetts, Manchester, New Hampshire and Atlanta, Georgia. The firm's success has been the result of the depth of experience found in its professional engineering staff and the direct involvement of the firm's principals in every project.
The majority of our work involves the design of building framing systems and the preparation of structural construction documents. FBRA is committed to Building Information Modeling (BIM), using Revit Structure software. Among its many advantages, BIM provides our projects with greatly enhanced collaborative design capabilities that can identify and resolve conflicts between the structure and other building systems during the design process, resulting in fewer issues during construction. Contract drawings for all of FBRAs major projects are developed directly from our Revit/BIM models. FBRA also remains fully capable with AutoCad, which is now utilized primarily for smaller or legacy projects. Electronic transfer of drawing files and documents via e-mail or FTP enhances our ability to serve our clients needs and meet the demanding schedules of today's business environment.
For additional information on Foley Buhl Roberts & Associates, Inc., contact principals Richard A. Foley, P.E. or Jonathan D. Buhl, P.E. at the Newton office, Richard E. Roberts, P.E. at the Manchester office, Branch Manager David P. Martin in Portland, or Branch Manager Leonard B. Weiss, P.E., S.E. at the Atlanta office.
PROJECT QUICK LOOK:
This project consists of the renovation of two historic buildings built in the 1800's on the campus of Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT. Also included is a new link addition, connecting the existing buildings both above and below ground.
Renovations of the Memorial Chapel, built in 1871, involved several major structural modifications. These included lowering the existing basement floor, adding a new MEP tunnel below the floor, and adding a new elevated concrete slab, supported on both new and existing masonry. Structural modifications to the existing Theater were less extensive.
The new link involved 1-1/2 stories of concrete structure below grade, providing mechanical rooms and tunnels connecting the link to both the chapel and the theater. The centerpiece of the project is a steel inverted pendulum structure for the at-grade main link. This structure supports the roof and the exterior glass / mullion system.